Dr Chen Hsueh Chu Rebecca received her MA in linguistics in the University of California, Davis, USA, and PhD in applied linguistics in the National Kaohsiung Normal University, Taiwan. Dr. Chen has been investigating a wide range of issues in inter-language phonology, experimental phonetics and computer assisted pronunciation learning and teaching. Dr Chen and her team have recently completed a TDG project: : Using Self-Developed Learners' Corpora for Pronunciation Learning and Teaching, which provides a spoken corpus of the English of Chinese ( with different dialectal backgrounds) and non-Chinese learners , a wide range of resources and exercises for pronunciation learning and teaching, and a Praat beginners' manual for acoustic phonetics research.
Dr. Chen is currently serving as Head of Centre for Language in Education. She served as Associate Head of of Department of Linguistics and Modern Langauge studies (LML) in 2018-19 and Doctor of Education (EdD) Coordinator (English Language) in 2017-19. She won the Faculty Teaching Award in the Faculty of Humanities in 2015.
1. GRF (PI) No: 18600218 Effects of phonological rule-based and acoustic perceptual-based instructions on the prosodic acquisition of English Word Stress by Chinese ESL learners 459,320 HKD (01/01/2019-30/06/2021)
2. GRF (PI) No: 18601420 Third language (L3) phonological development for multilingual learners in the Chinese context 747,960 HKD (01/01/2021-31/12/2022)
3. Technology Fund for Better Living (ITF) (Co-I) No: 5021/19/P A multi-modal Speaking App that introduces primary school pupils to the world of English poetry and intonation 2,699,280 HKD (01/12/2019-30/11/2022)
1. CRAC (PI) No: 03AAO Capacity building and curriculum reform in English language enhancement 1,620,327 HKD (01/07/2020-31/12/2022)
2. CoP (Co-PI) No: T0233 Language enhancement at EdUHK and beyond: Fostering a Community of Practice on technology-enhanced language learning and teaching 1,000,000 HKD (1/03/2020-31/12/2021)
3. CRAC (Co-I) No: 03AAB The development and evaluation of an innovative corpus-based language teaching approach among school in-service teachers in the Greater Bay Area or beyond 1,200,000 HKD (01/09/2020 -31/08/2022)
Experimental Phonetics, Inter-language Phonology, Intelligibility and Accent Studies, Perception and Production, Computer Assisted Pronunciation Learning